Leaders are regularly faced with having to have critical or tough conversations with their employees, teams, colleagues and supervisors. They are sometimes difficult to have and are oftentimes even harder to start. Managers know they need to have them, but the stakes can be high, and sometimes they don’t go as anticipated, hoped or intended. As a result, many managers avoid having them altogether.
Avoiding tough conversations or having ineffective conversations has an impact on employee morale, employee engagement, productivity, and a leader’s ability to be successful.
Critical or “vital” conversations are candid, goal-focused and feedback-rich conversations. They have the power to increase productivity; identify and build solutions based on shared objectives; broaden perspectives and mutual understanding; and foster positive engagement. They form the foundation upon which strong relationships are forged and collaborative teams are built.
This course will help participants change their outlook on having tough conversations by offering models, tools, tips and in-class practice to increase participants’ ability and confidence to conduct vital conversations effectively. Common pitfalls and barriers, which can derail vital conversations, will also be discussed.
This course is a practical, hands-on program. Participants will:
• Complete a TAIS Report – highlighting personal strengths and identifying one or two targeted areas which will enhance ability to influence and engage others and achieve results;
• Practice time proven methods to give feedback without raising defensiveness;
• Increase understanding of the difference between your Intention and Impact;
• Apply a Coaching model of conversation – establishing clear goals, process and attitude for success;
• Recognise how a little focused preparation goes a long way to ensuring desired outcomes.
NOTE: You do not need to have direct reports or a certain level of title to benefit from this course.
Registration is not available at this time. Subscribe to our mailing list for course news and updates.