Police Services Leadership (Day 1 and 2)
The Ontario Police Services have been tasked with putting processes in place to successfully manage changes and projects. In collaboration with the DeGroote School of Business, Executive Education department a training program has been developed to meet those needs for Senior Police Leaders.
The Police Services Leadership Program was designed to provide intensive and interactive courses. Developed by leading industry and faculty experts, each day focuses on a specific topic relevant to project and/or change management.
Day 1: Change Management – Who are you as a Change Leader?
Program Faculty: Dr. Teal McAteer
Key Learning Outcomes
- A solid understanding of the fundamentals of change and change management;
- An orientation to best practices in change leadership;
- An understanding of the required actions/steps for effective management of change;
- Understanding of the various roles and responsibilities associated with change diagnosis, planning and execution;
- New insights about your own behavior choices when dealing with change, and a heightened appreciation for the thinking styles contributing to both effective and ineffective change management behavior choices.
Day 2: Project Management Essentials
Program Faculty: Mr. Bruce Garrod
Key Learning Outcomes
- Become familiar with The Project Management Institute’s Project Management Framework, Processes and Knowledge Areas;
- Recognize how projects evolve and how to manage changes along the way;
- Plan and execute projects by establishing positive procedures that encompass the full life cycle of a project;
- How to set realistic budgets and schedules;
- Organize and lead an effective project team;
- Employ good communication to reduce potential conflicts and ensure smooth project flow;
- Ensure stakeholder engagement and satisfaction throughout the project life cycle;
- Enable delivery of the business benefits.
Dr. Teal McAteer is a business consultant who specializes in the areas of management, leadership, strategic human resource management, motivation, career planning and development, change, stress and time management, as well as health and wellness. She counsels on an individual basis and consults to a variety of organizations. As a Professor at the DeGroote School of Business at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Dr. McAteer teaches undergraduate (B.Com.), graduate (MBA), and executive (EMBA) level courses in organizational behaviour, human resource management, leadership, organizational & individual level change, and business ethics. Dr. McAteer has taught within the Director’s College, a joint program of McMaster University and the Conference Board of Canada. Dr. McAteer received her Bachelor of Commerce from Queen’s University in Ontario, Canada, and a Masters in Industrial Relations and Ph.D. in Business from the University of Toronto in Ontario, Canada. Her work experience includes human resource management functions with Shell Canada Limited and Domtar Incorporated, employee benefits consulting with Johnson & Higgins Willis Faber Limited, and relocation counselling with Peat Marwick Thorne. Currently, Dr. McAteer maintains her own consulting practice offering a wide variety of services in the HRM field with a particular focus on Leadership Coaching.
After a 20 year career at Bell Canada, Bruce established Solutions Management Inc.; a boutique project management consulting company focused on project delivery and training. The projects he has delivered range from deployments of international telecommunications networks to the corporate re-branding of a financial institution. Currently primarily now focused on training, Bruce has delivered courses to over 8000 participants from coast to coast in Canada, Washington DC, New York City as well as in England, the Philippines and Trinidad. His style is one where he brings theory to life by incorporating his years of private and public sector experience in project and program management. He takes pride in adjusting his approach to the needs of each individual. In 2018 Bruce was elected a municipal councilor and has been named Chair of Finance in Uxbridge Ontario Township.
If you have any questions about this course or registration, please submit us a question to discuss your development needs.
Who Should Register
Senior police leaders and civilian managers who will be responsible for coordinating, facilitating, or managing projects and programs.
Cost and Policies
$950 + HST
Registration fee includes both days.
This course can be customized to your organization's needs and delivered at your location or the Ron Joyce Centre.